Buonasera lovely hiking club!
on the 25-26 I’m organising a new hike: Mt. Kumotori (https://japanhike.wordpress.com/2008/05/08/mt-kumotori/ ). two days. Train based.
We will start the hike from Mitsumine Shrine and arrive at Okutama Station. Here the plan. There are some undefined variables that will be cleared out once the group is clear.
-> Departure 6AM (Train at 6:13) Saturday - Arrival at Seibu-Chichibu at 8:51 (2600 yen), we would take the bus at 9:10 - 900 yen - 60 minutes
-> Route: indicatively this route (Kumotori -> Nantasushi -> Okutama): https://www.strava.com/routes/17634090
if motivated people comes, I”m happy to go for a longer one (descending via the lake +2.5 hours): https://www.strava.com/routes/17634096
-> Sleeping options:
- sleep in the emergency hut near kumotori
- sleep in the tent
- sleep in the hut near Kumotori (http://kumotorisansou.com)
-> Get up early and hike :-)
-> We finish the hike and we relax in the Onsen near Okutama station
-> return from Okutama station to Tsukuba-center (2.5 hours, ~2240 yen) - Ideally back before 21.
Should the weather be bad I might cancel the hike.
IF you are joining, please reply to this email or to myself.
I also need to know the following information:
- do you have a tent?
- what do you prefer? tent / hut / emergency hut / indifferent?
- your experience level
- your phone number
This mountain sits on the three-way prefectural border of Yamanashi, Saitama and Tokyo. It is also known as the highest peak in Tokyo, at 2017 m. A great view of Mt. Fuji is expected if the weather is good. The night view of Tokyo can be seen if we’re lucky. The difficulty level of this hike is 3 out of 5.
Few points to remember:
- planning for a 2 days hike there could be better organised by starting later and finishing early. It fits an easy ride of 1.5 days.
- The estimated time for normal people is 5 hours to climb up Kumotori + 6-7 hours down on the other side. They recommend you not to do the hike with sandals... :-)
- to be more efficient with the moving if 4 people or more, could be convenient to get a taxi from Sebu-Chichiburi to Mitsumine-shrine.
The bus was filled up with people way above his capacity and very unforgettable for the modest price of 900 yen...
I did the hike in one day, I took the train to get on the first bus, however I could not start the hike before 10. I went down the ridge and took the train back around 18.